New digital and other technologies are changing the way people do sports and are spurring the emergence of innovative new gear, a trend that is creating numerous opportunities for growth.
“Connected sports” market booming
The Internet of Things (IoT) is revolutionizing many industries, including sports! In fact, sporting goods like trackers and wearables were one of the first truly widespread applications of IoT on the consumer market. Today, the fast-paced connected sports market is attracting an extremely varied slate of new entrants..
And members of the Minalogic ecosystem have carved out a strong position, developing technologies like optical and inertial sensors, new geolocation systems, embedded cameras, new imaging systems (panoramic, digital, and 3D), measurement and analysis solutions, OLED lamps, video, and virtual and augmented reality—all of which are ideal for the innovative products taking the sporting goods market by storm.
Innovative products born from Minalogic R&D projects
Minalogic has certified collaborative R&D projects targeting applications in mountain and other sports. These projects have resulted in the market release of innovative new products like:
- Dracula Power Ultralight , a USB solar charger for off-grid power during extended treks
- Play & Connect interactive tennis racket, developed by Movea in conjunction with sporting-goods manufacturer Babolat; the racket leverages a new generation of inertial sensor developed under the R&D project MAX6,
- The Spine VPD 2.0 Airbag Vest, a connected personal protective device for skiers designed by In&Motion; the product won Innovation Award in the Wearable Technology category at CES 2016
Planting the seeds for future collaborative projects for mountain and other sports applications
Minalogic is supporting its members’ efforts to carve out a position in this booming industry through initiatives like:
- A day-long seminar on mountain risk prevention organized in December 2015 in conjunction with two other clusters: Cluster Montagne and INDURAen collaboration avec le Cluster Montagne et le Cluster INDURA
- A partnership formed several years ago with leading sports, leisure, health, and wellness event Inosport
- Participation in Sporaltec’s Challenge Sport & Electronique competition in December 2015; the winners received personalized support for their sports- and electronics-related R&D projects from an Easytech program consultant
Discover Minalogic member know-how in this field
Is your company a Minalogic member ? Do you have know-how useful in mountain and other sports applications but do not appear in the table?
Contact Ingrid Mattioni (ingrid.mattioni_at_minalogic.com) to have your company’s name added to the listing.