SPIE Photonics West 2017 attracted 1,380 exhibitors and more than 23,000 visitors. The trade show is the world’s leading optics and photonics event, showcasing the latest technology, products, and research.
And Minalogic attended for the second year running, this time with a regional delegation of 14 Minalogic members. The trip to the event was financed in part by the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes regional government as part of Minalogic’s international development plan.
Minalogic took full advantage of this year’s trip to Photonics West to strengthen its international positioning and promote its member SMEs at a major international event. The innovative SMEs on the trip got an opportunity to highlight their photonics know-how.
The ideal event for Minalogic members specializing in photonics
Minalogic carefully prepared every aspect of the trip to Photonics West to ensure that the participating companies made the most of their time at the event and got the best possible return on their investment.
David Vitale, who coordinates Minalogic’s photonics programs, was on hand to provide support at the event, helping the participating companies identify leads and opportunities for international partnerships.
And, for Minalogic members unable to attend the event, David also gathered information on the latest technological innovations on display and made targeted introductions that could lead to future R&D and business partnerships. Contact information gathered at the event was also added to Minalogic’s international photonics directory (more than 70 contacts, including 40 from international companies), a valuable source of information for stakeholders in our local photonics ecosystem..
Activities to promote our regional photonics ecosystem
- “Shaping The Future of Photonics with Leti,” a workshop run by Leti in partnership with Minalogic and the Grenoble-Isère Economic Development Agency (AEPI): 80 attendees.
- A cocktail reception at the Business France exhibit booth in partnership with members of CNOP (France’s national optics and photonics federation), including Minalogic.
- The Business France Startup Challenge, which gave 23 entrepreneurs the opportunity to pitch their photonics-related projects to a team of VCs and business development experts.
- The Photonics Cluster Reception, which provided an opportunity to reach out to new international photonics clusters and other sources of photonics know-how.
- Tour of NASA’s Ames Research Center at Moffett Federal Airfield, which provided an opportunity to introduce our regional ecosystem to NASA and facilitate potential future international partnerships.
Thierry Gonthiez, COO, Resolution Spectra Systems
on how Minalogic’s support benefited his company at Photonics West 2017:
Thierry GONTHIEZ : « Photonics West is the annual optics and photonics event. It is the place to be to network, promote your business, generate leads, and make deals. We reached our targets this year in terms of both quality and quantity and are convinced that the leads we generated will translate into additional international sales over the coming months. This was the second time we had our own exhibit booth where businesses just starting out don’t necessarily get as much exposure as they would in the group pavilions. But Minalogic and its members attending the event really helped us boost the number of qualified leads that came to our booth. »
Based on the success of Minalogic’s second group trip to Photonics West and the positive feedback from members that received support crucial to their growth on international markets, it is very likely that the cluster will run a similar trip next year.
David Vitale is available to pass on the targeted information he picked up at the event and provide you with assistance reaching out to potential international partners for your photonics projects. You are welcome to contact David at: firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel. +33 4 28 07 01 77